The annual sewer cleaning program is now complete for 2016. The city thanks residents for their cooperation.
Annual sewer cleaning and televising throughout Steinbach is set to begin on Monday, October 17th this year.
Affected residents will receive a notice on their door before their street is worked on. The work may take place anytime during the two days following receipt of the notice. If any problems are identified, another notice will be given at that time. The City thanks all residents in advance for their cooperation with the maintenance of our waste water infrastructure.
Here is the list of streets that the City is focusing on this year:
- Home Street (Loewen Blvd. to Hospital St.) - COMPLETE
- Hospital Street - COMPLETE
- Hanover Street (House #174 to Reimer Ave.) - COMPLETE
- Main Street East (Life Sciences Parkway to Hirschfeld Rd. North – North side of road only) - COMPLETE
- Tower Avenue - COMPLETE
- Life Sciences Parkway - COMPLETE
- Main Street East (Hespeler to Life Sciences) - COMPLETE
- Rockwood Street - COMPLETE
- Ellice Avenue (Brandt St. to Giesbrecht St.) - COMPLETE
- Madison Place - COMPLETE
- Madison Drive (House #1 – South Park Dr.) - COMPLETE
- Loewen Boulevard (330 Loewen Blvd. to Walnut Ave.) - COMPLETE
- Oak Crescent - COMPLETE
- Second Street from Barkman Street to #374 Second Street, including #176 Barkman Street - COMPLETE
If your street is listed above, you will receive notice before the work takes place. Homeowners should take the following precautions:
- Cover all toilet bowls (under the lid) with saran wrap to prevent water from spraying in some cases where the vent might be plugged or the main lines are extremely dirty.
- Sinks & Bathtubs - Insert the plugs (in all sinks and bathtubs).
- Floor Traps in the Basement - Place a piece of plastic under the cover and put something heavy on top of the trap.
- Odours - If you experience an unpleasant odour in your house after the flushing process, run some water in all sinks with traps, flush the toilet, pour some water into the floor trap in the basement and open the windows for a short period of time. This should eliminate the odour.
Sewer lines on some other streets may be cleaned if time and budget allow. Houses along those streets will be notified a day or two before their street is worked on.
For more information on the City's sewer cleaning inspection program, click here.
Should you require any further information, please contact the City's Waterworks Department at 204-346-6573, between 8 am – 5 pm, and 204-346-6236 after 5 pm. If you do not get an answer, please leave a message with your contact information so that a staff member can call you back.