With the arrival of warmer weather, residents and their pets are more likely to be enjoying the outdoors. Responsible pet ownership is year-round, but this is a good time to review some of the rules the City has in place to ensure all residents have positive pet experiences.
- Pets are not allowed to run at large within city limits. When on a street or other public place, a pet must be kept on a leash not more than 2.5 metres in length.
- Pet owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pets, and must do so immediately if their pet defecates on property other than the pet owner’s. Dog feces on the owner’s property must be removed daily.
- Pet owners who fail to leash or clean-up after their pets may be fined no less than $100.00 per offense.
- If traveling in a vehicle with a pet, the animal must be secured in a manner that prevents it from jumping, falling, or being thrown out of the vehicle.
- Dog owners must not allow their dog to bark or howl in such a way that disturbs other people who are not on the same premises, or that unreasonably disturbs the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, or comfort of others.
The City appreciates the cooperation of pet owners.
Click here for more pet information including the city's dog licensing program and Animal Control By-Law.