Transportation for the mobility disadvantaged and seniors (ages 55+) is provided by the City of Steinbach for Steinbach residents. The service is funded in part by the Manitoba Department of Transportation and Government Services through an annual operating grant.
Click HERE for a printable version of the Handi Transit information.
Handi Transit services are available Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm.
If you require this service, contact the City at 204.326.4055 from Monday to Friday, between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm, or leave a message with the answering service. Appointments must be booked in advance to ensure availability.
Steinbach Handi Transit will transport you to (On a priority basis):
- Medical Appointments
- Personal Business
- Social Activities
Steinbach Handi Transit offers:
- Door-to-door service.
- Assistance, if necessary, by the driver to board the van and to the main entrance of your home or business.
- Transportation within city limits and outside city limits if time permits.
- Transportation to medical appointments, funerals or other personal business.
- Transportation outside city limits can be arranged. Reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance and are subject to the availability of the driver.
- Transportation outside standard operating hours of Monday to Friday between 9am-5pm can be arranged. Reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance and are subject to the availability of the driver.
Steinbach Handi Transit does NOT provide:
- Assistance by the driver for excess baggage or parcels.
- Assistance to your apartment if it is not at the main entrance of the building in which you reside.
- Service to people who are not current residents of the City of Steinbach.
Rates & Payment
Payment is required at the time of your trip. You may pay by cash, cheque, or use a valid Handi Transit Pass. Transit passes ($50, valid for 10 one way trips within city limits) are available for purchase at City Hall or from the Handi Transit driver.
Within City Limits
All trips within City limits $ 5.00 / person
Additional Rider(s) $ 5.00 / person
Standby Fee $ 6.25 / 15 min. of waiting time
Other out of City Trips $ 0.60 / km plus $ 5.00 / person
Responsibilities of Passengers:
- Be waiting at the ground floor of your building at the stated time of pickup.
- Call the Handi Transit driver at 204-371-5008 if the van is more than 15 minutes late.
- Call the Handi Transit driver as soon as possible if you must cancel your trip. If booked after regular hours and not cancelled prior to 5:00 p.m., a service fee will be charged.
- For your personal safety each passenger must wear a seatbelt. If medically unable to wear one, a passenger must have a certificate stating the same.
- Payment is required at the time your trip is taken.