Traffic, Vehicles & Parking

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I pay a ticket? 

In Person
During regular office hours (Monday – Friday, 8am – 4pm) at City Hall, 225 Reimer Avenue, Steinbach.

By Mail
Make a cheque or money order payable to the City of Steinbach. Please write out your ticket number on the cheque or money order to ensure proper credit. Do NOT forward cash in the mail. Mail to: City of Steinbach, 225 Reimer Avenue, Steinbach, Manitoba, R5G 2J1.

By Phone
Payment by credit card is accepted over the phone by calling City Hall at 204-326-9877. Please be ready with your ticket number.

24 Hour Drop Box
Payment (cheque or money order) can be placed in the drop box located outside the entrance doors of City Hall (Reimer Avenue entrance) at 225 Reimer Avenue. Please note the ticket number on cheques and money orders or include a copy of your ticket with payment. Please do NOT put cash payments in the drop box.

Is there an early payment option?
For parking tickets, the penalty amount shown on the Penalty Notice is eligible for a discount if paid within 7 days. There is no discount on Handi-cap Parking By-law tickets.

Who issues parking tickets? 
The City’s Community Services Officer, Parking Meter Attendant, Designated Employee, and the RCMP are the only authorities who can issue parking tickets in Steinbach. 

Are these actual tickets, like you get from the Police? 
Yes. The City’s Community Services Officer, Parking Meter Attendant, and Designated Employee have the same authority as the RCMP in issuing offence notices (tickets) and summons pertaining to parking violations. 

If I feel that I have received a parking ticket in error, what do I do? 
Contact City

If I disagree with a parking ticket, what can I do about it? 
A person who has received a Penalty Notice may pay the set fine or dispute it in front of a screening officer. Screening officers are the first tier of the adjudication process under the Municipal By-law Enforcement Act (MBEA). Screening officers “hear” a person’s dispute about the Penalty Notice and render a decision to uphold the penalty, reduce the penalty if permitted under the by-law, or cancel it.

What authority do screening officers have?
The screening officer has the authority to confirm, reduce or cancel the administrative penalty.

Request for Screening Officer

Can a person dispute the decisions of a screening officer?
Yes. If a person is not satisfied with the decision of a screening officer, the person may request a review of the screening officer’s decision by an adjudicator.
Adjudicators are the second tier of the adjudication process. An adjudicator will hold a hearing on the matter and decide whether to uphold, reduce or cancel the penalty. Adjudicators also have the authority to hear disputes regarding compliance agreements.
Adjudicators are appointed by the Province. Municipalities will contact the chief adjudicator to arrange for an adjudication sitting.

What does adjudication cost?
The adjudication fee is $25 and is paid to the municipality by the person requesting adjudication prior to the hearing. If the adjudicator determines that the person was successful at the adjudication review, the adjudicator will order the municipality to refund the adjudication fee to the person. 

Why would my vehicle get towed? 
If you think your vehicle has been towed, please call the RCMP at 204.326.1234. The RCMP will know if your vehicle was removed by City staff, and may be able to help locate your vehicle if it was removed by others. 

An enforcement officer or police officer may move or tow a vehicle, or take it into custody to be stored in a suitable place if the vehicle is standing or parked: 

a) in contravention of the City of Steinbach’s Traffic By-Law No.1350; or 
b) in a manner that causes interference with City snow removal operations; or 
c) in a position that causes interference with firefighting; or 
d) appears to be abandoned on or near a street; or 
e) is not registered. 

It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to pay any costs incurred in removal and storage of a vehicle removed under this By-Law. This is covered under City of Steinbach Traffic By-Law No. 1350 Section 39.1 (a)-(d). 

If I have a question about abandoned vehicles or RVs/trucks/trailers parked on my street, who should I contact?
If I have a question about parking for a special event, who do I contact? 
Contact City

If I disagree with a City Traffic or Parking by-law that is enforced by a parking ticket, what should I do? 
Contact a member of City Council and request a change to the By–Law. The needs of the City change from year to year and policy direction occurs at Council level. Go to Council’s contact information.

What is the City of Steinbach hoping to achieve through its parking enforcement?
Better quality parking operations on City properties, better quality parking operations in the city generally, more access to public parking in the downtown area and throughout the city, create public awareness, as well as business- and customer-friendly parking regulations. 

Where are Steinbach’s designated Truck Routes? 
Steinbach’s designated Truck Routes include PTH 52, PTH 12, and McKenzie Avenue from PTH 12 S / Brandt Street to PTH 52 E / Main Street. Trucks, truck tractors or combinations of either one with a trailer are to be operated on designated Truck Routes within the city of Steinbach. Any truck, truck tractor or combination of either one with a trailer may operate on any street where necessary to conduct business at a destination point, provided that Truck Routes are used until reaching the intersection closest to the destination and that the truck/truck tractor returns by the shortest route to a designated Truck Route. Truck Routes remain open Monday to Sunday, inclusive, at all times. This is covered under City of Steinbach Traffic By-Law No. 1350 Sections 43-47.